Michael had a good amount of hair when he was born, and he never really lost it. The last month or so he’s really been needing at least a trim around the ears and neck. But I was a little nervous to tackle the job, so I put it off as long as I could stand to.
This week I knew I wasn’t going to be able to put it off much longer, so I started doing a little research on how to cut a baby’s hair. I watched How-To videos on YouTube, read blog posts and asked family how they did it. Then I ordered a scissor set for hair cutting. And thought through all the scenarios while I waited for it to arrive.
Saturday’s mail included the scissors, so I decided it was as good a day as any other to cut Michael’s hair. I had already decided that I was going to try combining bath time and the hair cut together, using the kitchen sink, I got everything around and ready to begin. Michael loves taking baths, so I figured that would play to my advantage.
As you can see I placed the mirror behind the sink so that I could see easier as well as giving Michael a chance to see what was going on if he wanted to.
I filled the sink partially and put Michael in with a few of his favorite bath toys. I played a little with him until he was engrossed with what he was doing, and then sprayed his hair a little and combed it out. He wanted the comb, but I had planned for that and had a second comb all ready. And the serious business began!
I started on the left side and worked my way around, slowly snipping the hair in a downward slant. (Here is the video tutorial that I got the idea from). Once I had worked all that way around his head I TRIED to do the neck and ears, I say tried because I am not completely satisfied with how it turned out and am trying to find a better way. Michael kept moving which also made it difficult.
Once I had most of the hair weight I wanted to remove cut off I sprayed his hair again and spiked it all out around the sides. Using the thinning scissors, I chopped away until there weren’t any lines and everything was well blended together. I would stop and comb it down every once in a while to make sure it was looking the way I wanted it to.
In the end I could see areas where I could have done better, but for a first I was very pleased! It was a success!